Thursday, November 19, 2009

Vegan Clam Chowder



With the last few days of really enjoyable chilly-cool Fall weather, it got me in the mood for a new hot steamy soup. I used to love the clam chowder that Barbaras (AKA Biggies) on the coast of Half Moon Bay, California made. It was so hot and wonderful with very little sodium and NO cream or milk. Now that I am Vegan, I choose not to eat clam chowder. So, I came up with a Vegan chowder that tastes much like Biggies chowder.... minus the clams.
This tastes so great on a cold, sunny day.
As Always.... I DO Organic as much as Possible!

VEGAN CLAM CHOWDER
What you'll need (or determine your own amount)
*6 cups of my homemade soup stock (refer to my recipe)
*4 to 6 Irish or new potatoes (chopped in chunky pieces. I leave the skins on)
*2 to 3 large carrots (chopped)
*2 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
*6 stalks celery (chopped)
*2 cups mushrooms (sliced, fairly thick)
*1 cup Green onions (chopped)
*3 to 4 cups rice milk or almond milk (the almond milk gives
this soup a fabulously distinctive flavor.. but! you have to like
almonds!)
1/4 cup agave nectar
Seasoning: (adjust to your tastes)
LOTS of fresh pressed garlic
white pepper
black pepper
1 pinch cayenne, to taste
1 teaspoon marjoram
2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
1/4 teaspoon dill
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/8 cup fresh parsley, chopped



In a large pot Add:
veggie stock
potatoes and carrots
Rolling boil for about 10 minutes
Then Add:
Corn, celery, 'shrooms, and rice milk
Turn to a simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes
Add Green onions and all of the spices.
Simmer for about 3 minutes more.



Serve HOT over a slice of my Vegan cornbread!!




Now, go snuggle up with your favorite "Huggie" or a good book and enjoy the amazing fragrance of this delicious soup!!

Until Next Time........
GOOD HEALTH TO ALL!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment