Monday, December 7, 2009

Curry Ginger Rice with Raisins & Pine Nuts


Hmmm, after grazing on my Vegan Clam Chowder and my Yam and Split Pea soups the past 10 days or so, I was ready for something a little different. I am pretty muchily 80% raw in the summer...maybe a little more then that cuz I don’t like cooking in the LONG HOT Texas summers. But when things finally cool down in DECEMBER..... I really enjoy cooking up some nice warm comfort foods.

I don’t eat a lot of grains, but I just had this craving for some rice... not just rice in another stir fry or rice with beans... and not just “blah brown rice.” But something different. I cook with SPICES.... lots and lots of SPICES!!! I LOVE SPICES!!! .... ok.. we get it. But the possibilities are endless. Why people rely on salt to “enhance” flavor is beyond me.... how DULL and B O R I N G!!!

I played around with this dish and it is full of flavor and aroma. You walk in the house and you know something different is a cookin’ in the kitchen, for sure! Now the spices in this dish need to be monitored by your own taste buds.... mine? Well the hotter the better, baby!

Ok, let’s get started!
As Always... I DO as Much Organic As Possible!

This is what you will need:

Oven preheated at 350 degrees

Wild Rice
Black Rice
Basmati Rice

About one cup, cooked of each. Steamed in veggie stock and dished out in a baking dish

1 cup Mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 cup Red onions, thinly sliced
4 cloves or more Fresh garlic, chopped LOTS AND LOTS
1/3 cup Pine nuts
¾ cup Raisins
Veggie stock or filtered water

2 T. Green Curry paste
1 T. Ginger Root, thinly sliced
Dash of Ground Cinnamon
Dash (or more) of Cayenne Pepper..

I highly recommend you start with ½ the amount of these spices, taste, then add more if you like. Remember I LOVE spicy... HOT!!

Sliced Avocado
Chopped green onions

In a preheated HOT skillet add:
Chopped garlic (stir!)
Red onions
A dash of veggie stock or filtered water
STIR.. don’t let it stick
Now turn down the heat to simmer
Add mushrooms
½ cup or so of veggie stock or filtered water
Simmer for one minute
Remove from heat

Add:
Curry paste, stir
Ginger root, stir
Cinnamon, stir
Cayenne, stir

Pour this over rice and mix well. Mixture should be nice and moist but not juicy or runny. If it is too dry, add a bit more liquid.

Place in oven for about 20 to 30 minutes (keep an eye on it)

The last 3 minutes, add the raisins and the pine nuts, mix well.

Remove when time is up.


Garnish with sliced cado and green onions

This, and some LIGHTLY steamed asparagus, is what’s for dinner tonight!

Until Next Time.......

GOOD HEALTH ALL!!





No comments:

Post a Comment